If you have heard any news at all this week, you will have heard about (or even personally experienced) the scorching record-breaking heat wave that is raging across America. We thought it is only fitting for this week's blog to host a list of some of the best healthy homemade ice cream recipes you can find.
Most of these are very simple and only require an ice cream maker or a blender to create. Try one of these yummy homemade recipes and let us know how it tastes! If you happen to post about it on Facebook or Instagram, use #survivalandcross and we will repost and give you a shout-out!
Matcha Avocado Ice Cream
Face it, avocados are just one of those superfoods you will always hear people raving about. In this healthy ice cream recipe, they are the main ingredient and will pack a super punch in the taste buds when combined with the matcha flavoring and a touch of sweet honey.
- 1 large, ripe Haas avocado
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons matcha
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1½ cups whole milk or light coconut milk
- 1½ cups heavy cream or full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- ¼cup plus 2 tablespoons raw sugar or coconut sugar
- ￼2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Recipe and image by acalculatedwhisk.com
Double Chocolate 4 Ingredients Dairy Free Ice Cream
Long title, yes, but we had to make sure you understood just how amazing this ice cream recipe really is. Not only does it take out some of the extra fat and sugar that other recipes have, it boasts super simple instructions that anyone can possibly follow and enjoy. Complete with the benefits of bananas and almond milk, but the amount of chocolate chips you add is totally up to your discretion!
- 2 frozen bananas
- ½ cup, cocoa powder
- 1 cup, Almond Milk
- ½ cup, chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- chocolate sprinkles, for topping
Recipe and image by lifealittlebrighter.com
Peanut Butter Sweet Potato Ice Cream
Sweet Potato? Yes. And before you knock it, you have to try it. You know the nutritional benefits of sweet potatoes and this is just your chance to enjoy them in a whole new way! The secret sauce here is this recipe is vegan, so you know it has to be healthy!
- 1/2 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter, with no additives
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 can "lite" canned coconut milk (or you can sub with another creamy milk like cashew or soy, the creamier, the better the results. You will need 1 3/4 cups plant milk)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (only if your peanut butter doesn't have any added already)
- Optional, but recommended! Bittersweet Chocolate Peanut Butter Sauce
Recipe and image by thevegan8.com
5 Minute Berry Frozen Yogurt
So refreshing and oh so yummy, you will love this easy berry frozen yogurt recipe. This is perfect for a quick poolside treat and you don’t even have to freeze it all the way if you don’t want to. By throwing in some frozen berries, honey and yogurt into a blender, you are literally 5 minutes (or less) away from a berry bliss with healthy benefits!
- 2 cups frozen berries
- ½ cup plain yogurt (low-fat, greek, or full fat)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tsp lemon or vanilla (optional)
Recipe and image by gimmedelicious.com
Lemongrass Ice Cream
If you are feeling a little culinary skillful one day, try this dairy, egg, soy, and gluten free lemongrass recipe! It calls for 1 teaspoon xanthan gum which is a food additive that is becoming more popular with the increase of gluten free diets. In this recipe -it brings a smooth and creamy consistency and keeps it from becoming icy. The lemongrass flavor will awaken your senses and its aroma as you prepare it will have your house smelling amazing.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans coconut milk (full fat)
- 2/3 cup maple syrup*
- 5-7 lemongrass stalks, trimmed and peeled – outer layer removed
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- pinch sea salt
Recipe and image by spabettie.com/
Creamy Mango Ice Cream
Creamy mango just screams summertime for me. This easy 5 minute recipe is too good to pass up and with only 4 ingredients, it would be a great recipe to let the kids help with. Check out our other blog on the 5 Detox Drinks You Need To Make.
- 3 cups frozen mango chunks
- ½ cup canned coconut milk (full-fat recommended)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2-4 tablespoons agave nectar (or liquid sweetener of choice such as honey or maple syrup), to taste
Recipe and image by happyhealthymama.com
Vegan Almond Butter, Caramel-Swirled, Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
With your trusty high powered blender and a few ingredients, this sweet treat is easy to make and quick to serve! Because it’s base is only frozen bananas, there’s room to add more treats on top like dark chocolate chips! Made using homemade coconut sugar caramel, creamy peanut or almond butter, vanilla bean flavor and a banana ice cream base, this dreamy vegan treat is something you can feel good about!
- 5 large extra ripe bananas, frozen
- 1 cup (+ 2-3 Tbsp as needed) non-dairy milk
- a few pinches vanilla bean powder or vanilla bean seeds (whole bean)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, extra virgin
- 1 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp peanut or almond butter, softened to a drizzle-able state
- *add 1-2 tsp melted coconut oil if your nut butter is quite thick
- 1-2 Tbsp mini vegan chocolate chips
- 2 Tbs crushed raw walnuts or chopped almonds (optional)
- a few pinches of cinnamon
Recipe and image by kblog.lunchboxbunch.com
Green Tea Coconut Milk Ice Cream
From a nutritional standpoint, this is a powerhouse dessert. Matcha, or green tea powder, is nothing more than stone-ground green tea leaves, which are high in antioxidants, boost the metabolism, lift your mood, are full of amino acids, and increase your energy. All of that combined with the benefits of coconut milk and you will be wanting to keep this special delight in your freezer all summer long.
- 2 14.5-ounce cans full-fat coconut milk*
- 1 tablespoon matcha green tea powder to taste see note*
- ½ cup pure maple syrup see note**
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
Recipe and image by theroastedroot.net
You might be interested in our Beginners Guide To Meal Planning
Coffee Coconut Ice Cream
It has coffee and it has coconut, what more explanation do you need? This creamy texture coffee ice cream is as bold as it gets in flavor. You can adapt it to your taste, of course, adding sugar or reducing the amount of coffee.
- 2 13.5 ounce cans of quality full-fat coconut milk (roughly 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup raw sugar, depending on preferred sweetness (I used 1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1.5 tsp pure vanilla extract
Recipe and image by minimalistbaker.com
Honey Peach Frozen Yogurt
This peach yogurt is simple to make and delicious to enjoy. It does have that tartness from the yogurt but it is fat-free and totally delicious as a treat. Since it's the season for fresh peaches, we suggest finding a local farmer's market to find the sweetest peaches and use them in this recipe.
- 3 ripe peaches, peeled and cut into chunks. (about 3 cups of cut fruit and you can use a mix of white and yellow)
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 ½ cups Fage Greek yogurt
Recipe and image by weekofmenus