What is the ketogenic diet?
Better known as the keto diet, for short. This is a high-fat, low carb diet. It consists of 60-75% fat, 15-30% protein, and 5-10% carbs. This diet helps your body use fat as its energy source, instead of carbs. For many people, after testing out this diet a minimum of 7 days to 30 or even 60 days, and experiencing the weight loss and health benefits, turn it into a lifestyle. The body goes into a process called ketosis. Ketosis is when the body begins to make ketones in place of missing carbs, and burns fat.
Check out A Ketogenic Diet for Beginners by Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt, MD. In this article, you can learn how the diet works, who should and shouldn't pursue this diet, and foods to avoid.
Breakfast: Did you know you can eat pancakes on this diet? Of course, you may not want to eat them every morning, but there are keto-friendly pancakes!
- In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, cream cheese, eggs, and lemon zest until smooth.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Pour in about 3 tablespoons batter and cook until golden, 2 minutes. Flip and cook 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate and continue with the rest of the batter.
- Serve topped with butter.
Lunch: Savory Shrimp Keto Stir Fry With Baked Cauliflower Rice is a great meal prep option for a delicious lunch!
16oz (1lb) shrimp (peeled, tail on)
2 inch nub of ginger root
4 stalks green onion
2 garlic cloves
4 baby bella mushrooms
1inch piece of lemon rind
2 tsp pink Himalayan salt, more to taste
3 tbsp. bacon fat
12oz frozen riced cauliflower
2 tbsp. MCT oil
- Pre-heat your oven to 400F.
- Spread your cauliflower rice on a sheet pan, drizzle liberally with MCT oil and sprinkle with pink salt.
- Place in the oven when it comes to temperature, bake for 10 minutes.
- Peel and slice your ginger root and garlic cloves. Cut your green onion into 1 inch pieces. Peel a slice of lemon rind off.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat. When it comes to temperature add in the bacon fat and all of your aromatics. Sauté until tender and fragrant.
- Add in the shrimp and sauté, stirring often until they are pink and coiled. Add in the coconut aminos and salt, stir another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Serve your shrimp over a bed of baked cauliflower rice! Garnish with more green onion, sesame seeds or chili flakes!
Check out more lunch options here: 20 Satisfying Keto Lunch Ideas (+ Recipes) to Fuel Your Day on perfectketo.com
Dinner: Keto Chicken Enchilado Bowl is an easy yet delicious dinner option for all the Mexican food lovers out there.
2 tablespoons coconut oil (for searing chicken)
1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3/4 cup red enchilada sauce (recipe from Low Carb Maven)
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup chopped onion
1- 4 oz can diced green chiles
Ideas For Toppings:
1 whole avocado, diced
1 cup shredded cheese (I used mild cheddar)
1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapenos
1/2 cup sour cream
1 roma tomato, chopped
- In a pot or dutch oven over medium heat melt the coconut oil. Once hot, sear chicken thighs until lightly brown.
- Pour in enchilada sauce and water then add onion and green chiles. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook chicken for 17-25 minutes or until chicken is tender and fully cooked through to at least 165 degrees internal temperature.
- Careully remove the chicken and place onto a work surface. Chop or shred chicken (your preference) then add it back into the pot. Let the chicken simmer uncovered for an additional 10 minutes to absorb flavor and allow the sauce to reduce a little.
- To Serve, top with avocado, cheese, jalapeno, sour cream, tomato, and any other desired toppings. Feel free to customize these to your preference. Serve alone or over cauliflower rice if desired just be sure to update your personal nutrition info as needed.
Check out more dinner options here: 40 Ketogenic Dinners You Can Make In 30 Minutes Or Less by Lindsay Champion
Wednesday Workout Motivation
Check out this motivational video for when you feel like giving up. by MotivationGrid