Stretching your body regularly is just as important as regularly exercising. Did you know that following exercise, muscles are stiff and can continue to be stiff for 1 to 4 days? Stretching the right way, at the right time, and doing so regularly is very important. A lot of the time, we tend to neglect this aspect in our fitness routine. We shouldn’t neglect this step because stretching has major benefits.
10 benefits of stretching:
- Improves flexibility
- Increases range of motion in joints
- Helps in correcting posture by lengthening tight muscles that tend to pull the body away from its intended position.
- Decreases risk of injury.
- Increases blood and nutrient supply to the muscles.
- Reduces muscle soreness.
- Stretching can calm the mind, and give your body a chance to recharge by releasing tension.
- Increases energy levels. (Who doesn’t want that during the work week?)
- Enhances muscular coordination.
- Can lower blood sugar.
Two basic types of stretching:
- Dynamic stretching for pre-workout. This technique should be used as a warm-up prior to exercise. This technique can improve performance by increasing blood flow to muscles and increase flexibility and force of muscle contraction.
- Static stretching for post-workout. This technique of stretching returns the muscle to its original length and prevents it from getting stiffer. This stretch should be held at least 30 seconds, once per day to improve muscle flexibility.
Videos to Add to Your Routine:Dynamic Stretching: Check out this youtube video by HASfit